Portugal vs Spain 2018 World Cup: Cristian Ronaldo Scored a thrilling hat-trick as Portugal set a 3-3 draw with Spain on their opening World Cup games on Friday 2018.
Portugal, Spain, Morocco and Iran are in Group B. Ronaldo’s performance yesterday was very incredible. His performance in his opening World Cup games on Friday night has helped him to set the best record in the world of football. The current Ballon dÓr winner has played four world cups, but he only manages to score 1 goal in each of his previous three world cups.
The Real Madrid forward, twice gave Portugal a lead before Diego Costa brought Spain to Level the game. It was later that Nacho scored a smashing goal to put Spain ahead of Portugal. It was almost to the last minute of the game when Ronaldo found the top corner of the net with a free-kick to be sure the point was shared between both teams.
The Real Madrid star in one night has doubled his World Cup goals and set the record of scoring at an eighth consecutive major tournament.
Ronaldo started the game very well by scoring the fourth-minute penalty after being foul in the box by his club teammate Nacho. At the 24th minute, Diego Costa responded to by equalizing the goal to bring the game to levelling mode.
It was closed to the end of the first half before Ronaldo shot from 20 yards straight to David De Gea, but he could not help to put the ball away only for Ronaldo to celebrate his second goal as Portugal lead in the first half.
In the first 10 minutes of the second half, a free-kick was floated into the Portugal keeper box and headed across the goal by Sergio Bosquets and Diego Costa was there to make it into the net. Three minutes later Nacho scored a screamer goal from 22 yards making the score-line 3-2. Cristiano Ronaldo level up with a wonderful free-kick making it a 3-3 draw.
Scoring his first World Cup hat-trick on his opening game in the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup has been one of the best performance in the World Cup history. Ronaldo has created history in the World of Football and it is hoped that he will do more in the remaining games of the tournament.
Here is the history he has made so far;
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the first player in history to score in 8 consecutive major tournaments (Euro 2004, WC 2006, Euro 2008, WC 2010, Euro 2012, WC 2014, Euro 2016 and WC 2018).
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored his 51st career hat-trick (club and country), and his treble was also the 51st hat-trick scored in World Cup history.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the oldest ever player (33yr 130days) to score a World Cup hat-trick.
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s free-kick was the first that he has scored from a direct free-kick in a finals tournament, from what was his 45th attempt (World Cup & Euros combined).
- Cristiano Ronaldo at his four World Cup tournaments: 2006 – 1 goal (26 shots) 2010 – 1 goal (22 shots) 2014 – 1 goal (22 shots) 2018 – 3 goals and counting.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the 4th player to score in 4 separate World Cup tournaments (also Pelé, Miroslav Klose and Uwe Seeler).
- Portugal has scored the highest proportion of their goals at the World Cup in the final 15 minutes of games (16/43).
- Cristiano Ronaldo was directly involved in more goals than any other player in the 2018 European World Cup qualifiers (18), scoring 15 goals and assisting a further three.
- Portugal has now lost only one of their last ten World Cup group games (0-4 v Germany in 2014), winning five and drawing the other three.
Ronaldo’s Rival Lionel Messi team Argentina drew against Iceland on Saturday 17, 2018. Lionel was Pressure trying to redeem his country. He did his best in Argentina opening game in the Russia 2018 World Cup tournament, but his effort end him no goal. We hope to see both players, Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi perform very well in the remaining games.
Let’s make an interactive session. Can this Ronaldo’s effort in the opening World Cup game earn him Ballon dÓr and the FIFA best player award for 2018? Your views are needed, drop your views in the comment section.